We talk a lot about sustainability on The Clean Beauty Edit, not just because it is something that we feel passionately about but because it is probably the single most important issue facing this generation and the next. You may think 'What does one more plastic water bottle added to the recycling bin matter?' or 'The politicians and scientists will come up with a solution. It's not for me to worry about". But here's the deal. It will take all of us working together to keep climate change and global warming under control. That means you, me, your family, your friends, people you have never met in countries that you have never been to. We all share this beautiful Earth and it is up to all of us to preserve it and care for it.
In 2009 the World's nations agreed that the rise in global temperatures should not exceed more than 2 degrees above pre-industrial levels, however countries found it exceedingly difficult to agree on a framework that suited individual countries on how to go about achieving this cap on global temperature rises. In 2015 more than 190 nations came together in Paris to jointly resolve to safeguard and strengthen the social, environmental and economic fabric of life on our shared planet. Against the odds, all the countries attending (including the US and China) committed to trying to keep the rising temperature under 2 degrees but actually pursuing a target of keeping it under 1.5 degrees. It was a landmark agreement for humankind and a triumph for us all.
This is where Mission2020 comes into play. If we are to achieve the targets set out in the Paris Agreement, greenhouse gas emissions must begin their steady decline by 2020. Bending the curve of emissions any later will all but eliminate our chance keep the global temperature rise under 1.5°C and move the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals beyond our reach. 2020 is next year! This means that we all have an extremely important role to play within the next year, and into the future, to see that our Planet reaches this goal.
We all need to rise to this challenge. Create a more sustainable and equal existence throughout the World. We have an opportunity to demonstrate the very best of humankind, and in doing so create a better World.
The evidence that a 2020 climate turning point is within our grasp is growing every day. Global CO2 emissions have already plateaued, and are expected to remain steady over the coming years, but the battle is not won. We all need to be making steps towards a more sustainable life, as individuals and as nations. It won't work unless we achieve real change at grass-roots level.
If you are interested in learning more about Mission2020 than check out their website, and if you want to know steps you can take right now to start living a more sustainable life check out our tips below and also our recent blog post - Easy Steps To Being More Sustainable At Home.
1. Start reducing your energy use - plug out appliances when not in use. Turn off lights unless needed. Wash clothes at 30 degrees whenever possible. Take a shorter shower.
2. Infrastructure - how can your home and/or business become more sustainable. Can you change your source of energy? Add solar panels. Update your heat system. Add insulation to reduce energy consumption. Update appliances for more energy efficient ones.
3. Transport - can you switch up your car for one that guzzles less? Can you take a bike, or public transport? Can you car pool? Any small way in which you can make your modes of transport a little more eco-friendly are fantastic. Start small and build your way up. Maybe you can start a campaign at your kid's school, or at work. The more people we get involved the more chance of success.
4. Land Use - we love the idea of people planting meadows instead of creating lawns. Even if you can't turn your entire garden into a meadow, what about a small patch that will help the bees. This fab Facebook page has lots of ideas and inspiration https://www.facebook.com/makemeadowsnotlawns/posts_to_page/
5. Consumption - this is the area that is hardest for most people to overhaul, in terms of both food consumption and everyday personal purchases of clothing, books, toys, furniture etc. We have grown so used to consuming, day in, day out. It is so easy to buy and the choice is endless. But you can change your attitude to consumption and arrive at a much more satisfying place without sacrificing your personal style too much.
- eat more sustainable food options (non-GMO, reduce dairy, up intake of plant-based foods, eat less meat, shop local)
- stop buying single use plastics where possible
- choose natural materials over plastic
- buy clothing and beauty products from sustainable brands and retailers (like The Clean Beauty Edit!). There are so many out there now. Just start Googling and you will be amazed!
- recycle and reuse where possible - donate, don't throw away
- ask yourself do you REALLY need something before purchasing
- start looking at every item that you buy and ask yourself is a more sustainable option available
But when it comes to climate, timing is everything and we need to step-up to the challenge and work together to stop the growth of global emissions by 2020. It's our shared mission and probably the biggest opportunity the World has ever seen to work together and achieve something for the benefit of all mankind.
Join Mission2020 today by finding out more about what you can do to halt global warming, and then make it your own personal mission to carry out as many steps to success as possible.
We are with you!